YOLO Avocado Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes about 18 regular-sized cookies and 24 mini cookies
½ Hass avocado
½ stick unsalted butter * at room temperature
¾ cups dark brown sugar
1 large egg *at room temperature
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp baking powder
¾ cups old fashioned oats
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Cut the avocado in half and scoop out ½ the flesh into a large bowl. Add the butter and brown sugar. Cream together until fluffy.
2. Add the egg then the vanilla. Mix well until well combined.
3. In a separate bowl mix flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder.
4. Slowly add to the wet mixture until fully incorporated
5. Add the chocolate chips and oats. Be careful not to overmix here. Place the dough in the fridge to chill for one hour. *Super important this allows the flavors to meld and prevents the cookies from spreading. If you can’t wait that long (totally get it) put in the freezer for 20 min.
6. While the cookies are in the fridge, preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
7. After the dough has chilled, scoop out spoonfuls of dough on the baking sheet using a tablespoon or an ice cream scooper. Lightly dampen your thumb with water and press down to flatten the dough (Ina Garten trick J )
8. Bake for 12 minutes, until golden brown. Repeat with remaining dough.
*Baking times may vary but I love them with soft and gooey centers- always better half-baked! Feel free to bake longer but keep an eye on them to make sure they don’t burn!