Ina Garten truly inspired me to start cooking. My first cookbook I bought was Barefoot in Paris and it is full of delicious recipes. However, most of her recipes are heavy on the butter and oil, and high in sugar. Not exactly conducive to an active, healthy lifestyle. This chocolate cake originally had 1/2 cup of oil and 2 cups of sugar! Even if this cake does feed about 8 people, your guests will likely leave with a sugar coma and a trip to the mall for a larger pant size. This recipe, however, doesn’t sacrifice flavor or taste! Instead, I made a few healthy swaps (like substituting non-fat greek yogurt for oil) to make this classic dessert a little easier on your waistline. Of course, you can have your cake and eat it too!
- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose flour)
- 1 cup sugar or sugar substitute such as Truvia (24 packets or 1/3 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons)
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup good cocoa powder (I use Trader Joe's)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk (don't have it? click here for quick and easy ways to make it)
- 1/2 cup non-fat greek yogurt
- 2 extra-large eggs at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 + 1 tablespoon coffee
- Chocolate Buttercream, recipe to follow
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray two 8 x 2 inch cake rounds intensely I might add. Want to make sure these babies fall right out of the pan!
- Sift flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix on low speed until combined (or you could use the old-fashioned strong arm and a spoon or hand beaters).
- In another bowl mix together buttermilk, greek yogurt, eggs, and vanilla until well combined. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry.
- With the mixer still on low, slowly pour in the hot coffee and stir till just combined, scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pans and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick coms out clean.
- Allow cakes to cool for 30 minutes, then flip cakes over out of the pans onto a cooling rack.
- Place one layer, flat side up on flat plate or cake pedestal. Frost the entire bottom layer. Place the second layer on top, rounded side up and cover with frosting. Serve and enjoy with abandon!
3/4 cup chocolate chips
1 stick of butter
1 cup non-fat greek yogurt
1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
- Place chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds on high in the microwave. Stir. Heat for another 30 seconds and stir. Repeat process until chocolate is completely melted.
- Beat butter on high speed in an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add greek yogurt and vanilla extract. Gradually add powdered sugar on low speed, then beat at medium speed, scraping down the bowl when necessary, until smooth and creamy.
- Dissolve instant coffee in 2 teaspoons of the hottest tap water. On low speed add chocolate and coffee to the butter mixture. Spread immediately on cooled cake!