For those who have a garden, or if you’re like me wish to have one someday, or even if that’s the last thing you want to do, you can’t escape the fact that zucchini is everywhere this time of year. Zucchini is such a versatile and delicious vegetable (technically a fruit but we won't go there), that should be taken full advantage of before the cold weather starts rolling in!
1. Zucchini Fritters by Martha Stewart
2 . No-Noodle Zucchini Lasagna
3. Whole Wheat Zucchini Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins by How Sweet It Is
4. Zucchini Tots by Skinnytaste
5. Raw Zucchini Salad by Yummy Mummy Kitchen
Healthy Carrot Zucchini Cake
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup coconut oil (you could also use canola oil if not on hand)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup non-fat greek yogurt
1 1/2 cup grated carrots
1 1/2 cup grated zucchini
1/4 cup walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray cake tins with non-stick cooking spray. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. (Important step to make sure cake is light and fluffy). Set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat brown sugar, honey, and coconut oil for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time until completely blended. Stir in yogurt, carrots, zucchini, and walnuts. Mix in flour until just combined. Do not over mix!
- Pour batter evenly into 2 cake pans or if you want to make cupcakes spoon batter into lined cupcake tins. Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. (My oven is abnormally hot and it only took 11 minutes so watch carefully!)
- Cool cake on a wire rack completely before frosting.
Cashew Cream Frosting
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 2/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup water (use more or less to achieve desired consistency)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- Blend all ingredients in a food processor until blended completely. Add more or less water until desired consistency.