1. All ingredients at room temperature. Forgot? No problem. Place eggs in a cup of warm water for 10 minutes. Microwave stick of butter for 5 seconds rotating each side.
2. Chill the dough for 24 hours at least! If you can, 36 is optimal. It allows all the flavors to meld together into a deep caramely deliciousness. And the cookies will be baked to chewy perfection.
3. Use bread and cake flours. All grocery stores should carry them it's honestly worth it to get the perfect consistency. In a pinch, all purpose works too, however.
4. If you think they're done, it's probably too late. These cookies are the best when they're pulled out of the oven from what you think is a a minute or 2 early. The chewy gooey goodness and crispy outsides will be perfect. If you jumped the gun a little too early, you could also pop them back in the oven. Underdone is better than burnt. Trust me.
These tips you can apply across all cookie recipes and they will be perfect every time :)
- 2 cups minus 2 Tbsp. cake flour (8 1/2 oz)*
- 1 2/3 cups bread flour (8 1/2 oz)*
- 1 ¼ tsp. baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp. coarse salt, such as kosher
- 2 ½ sticks (1 ¼ cups; 10 oz.) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ¼ cups (10 oz.) light brown sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. (8 oz.) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ pounds bittersweet chocolate chips or chunks, preferably about 60% cacao content, such as Ghirardelli
- Sea salt or kosher salt for garnishing
- Sift flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Using a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. this might take longer than you think so be patient.
- Add the eggs one at a time.
- Mix in the vanilla and scrap down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as necessary.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly add dry ingredients until just combined. Do not over mix!
- Add the chocolate chips and briefly stir.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 36hrs or at least 24. (It can be refrigerated for up to 72 hours and used in batches).
- When you're ready to bake preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare your baking sheets by lining them with parchment paper.
- Using a standard sized ice cream scoop, scoop the cookie dough onto the baking sheet 2 inches apart.
- This is optional- wet your thumb, and press down in the center to make a little well (a trick from Ina Garten) to help the cookies spread evenly.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake in the oven for 8 minutes plus or minus 2 minutes depending on your oven. This is not a time to go watch an episode of Homeland!
- Bake the rest, or roll the dough in plastic wrap and freeze until ready to use again. Make sure to defrost completely before baking.
- Enjoy :)