Kale Ceasar Salad (Vegan, Gluten- Free options)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 large bunches of kale, ribs removed and leaves sliced into 1/4-inch shreds
- 1/2 cup finely grated Grama Padano or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (grated on a Microplane, optional if vegan)
- 2 tablespoons toasted whole wheat bread crumbs (use gluten- free if gluten intolerant)
- Parmesan cheese shavings, for garnish (optional)
*NOTE: This ratio typically turns out perfect every time. However, if the dressing tastes too acidic, add more olive oil and vice versa. I am a garlic fanatic so I usually throw in a few more cloves too. Take liberty to taste and adjust to your preferences- one of my favorite things about cooking!
- In a salad bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and red pepper flakes. Add the kale and toss well to coat. (If you have time (and energy) you can "massage" the kale with your hands which softens the kale and makes it easier to eat and digest. If you have really picky eaters- this might be worth it!)
- Let the salad sit at room temperature for at least 10 to 30 minutes. Very important step! Don't skip.
- Add the grated cheese and bread crumbs and toss again.
- Garnish with the cheese shavings before serving. Cover any leftovers and refrigerate for up to 2 days.