Oatmeal Pancakes with Cottage Cheese (high protein, high fiber, gluten-free)
- 1 cup gluten-free old-fashioned rolled oats (or regular rolled oats if gluten is of no concern)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium banana (very ripe, as it has the sweetest flavor)
- 2 eggs or 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup almond milk or milk of choice (or more if the batter is too thick)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Banana slices, cinnamon and sugar, whipped cream, melted peanut butter, berries for toppings
- Chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter (melted and stirred into the batter)
- Fresh berries
- Lightly coat a non-stick pan or griddle with butter or cooking spray. Heat over medium heat.
- Finely blend dry ingredients (oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon) together until the consistency resembles flour and set aside (I use a small, personal blender, it works perfectly).
- Blend wet ingredients together (banana, egg whites, cottage cheese, almond milk and vanilla extract).
- In a large bowl add the dry ingredients. Slowly fold in the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Drop batter by the 1/4 cup onto skillet. Add desired toppings such as berries or chocolate chips. Watch the pancakes carefully. When bubbles appear and begin to pop, that's when you know they are ready to be flipped!
- Flip pancakes and cook until golden brown underneath.
- Repeat process until the batter is gone!
- Enjoy topped with bananas, cinnamon sugar, syrup, more berries, whip cream...you get the idea ;)