Brown and Wild Rice with Brussels Sprouts (Gluten Free, Vegan)
- 2 cups vegetable broth or low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 3/4 cup short-grain brown rice
- 3/4 cup wild rice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 7 ounces frozen pearl onions, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounces portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces brussels sprouts, thinly sliced or shredded
- 1/4 cup toasted hazelnuts (arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees until lightly toasted 6-8 min)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- In a heavy saucepan or Dutch oven, bring the broth, 1/4 cup water, and the thyme to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the brown and wild rice.
- Cover, lower the heat and simmer until the rice is tender but still chewy, about 30 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and allow the rice to stand for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile in a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until light golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Cook until softened about 8 minutes.
- Add the brussels sprouts, and cook until the vegetables are tender about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the vegetable mixture to the saucepan of cooked rice. Finish with 1 tablespoon of the red wine vinegar and add the hazelnuts.
- Toss until all the ingredients are mixed.
- Transfer to a large bowl and serve!