Loaded Veggie Pizza with Spelt Flour Crust
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 1/2 cups Tpo 00 pizza flour or unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- carmelized onions
- crushed garlic
- mozzerella di bufula
- shredded mozzerella
- marinara sauce
- get creative! Add ricotta, pepperoni, goat cheese, and in-season veggies
- If making the crust- put the yeast and honey in a bowl with 1/4 cup warm water (no warmer than 100 degrees F). Let sit for about 10 minutes until it begins to slightly bubble.
- Mix both flours and the salt in a large bowl and add the yeast mixture and olive oil to the bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add 1 cup warm water and knead with your hands until the dough is smooth. Add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if it feels too dry.
- Brush the dough with olive oil, put it in a bowl, and cover with a moist dish towel. Let it rise about an hour until it doubles in size.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and punch it down to remove the air and knead it a few more times.
- Repeat step 4 and 5.
- Divide the dough into 2 or 4 portions, roll them into balls and let them rise just one more hour (I promise!) while covered in a bowl.
- In between rises you can prep your ingredients. Roast your veggies, caramelize onions, or steam/saute them with some olive oil and garlic.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Roll out your dough to as thin as your liking- but more surface area = more toppings yay!
- Bake the dough sans toppings for 5 minutes to avoid a soggy middle.
- Place the marinara sauce, shredded cheese, veggies, and dollops of ricotta or mozzerella di bufula on your pizza.
- Depending on how hot your oven gets, bake pizzas for 10-12 minutes. until nice and the cheese is melty and bubbly :)